Sunday, October 14, 2012

Goodreads: How to Measure Anything


How to Measure Anything: Finding the Value of How to Measure Anything: Finding the Value of "Intangibles" in Business by Douglas W. Hubbard

My rating: 3 of 5 stars





Douglas Hubbard provides an excellent layperson's overview of business statistics and analytics. The first half of the book is great; I skimmed through the second half that seemed to only contain "oh, by the way" topics.

Hubbard is able to take the dreaded college Stats 101 course and cover the material simply in a way that explains "why" we do it without focusing on the scary mathematical "how."

View all my reviews


No comments:

About Me

My Photo

I am a project-based consultant, helping data-intensive firms use agile methods and automation tools to replace legacy reporting and bring in modern BI/Analytics to leverage Social, Cloud, Mobile, Big Data, Visualizations, and Predictive Analytics. For several world-class vendors, I led services teams specializing in providing software implementation and custom application development. Based on scores of successful engagements, I have assembled proven methodologies and automated software tools.

During twenty years of technical consulting, I have been blessed to work with smart people from some of the world's most respected organizations, including: FedEx, Procter & Gamble, Nationwide, The Wendy's Company, The Kroger Co., JPMorgan Chase, MasterCard, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Siemens, American Express, and others.

I was educated at Valparaiso University and the University of Cincinnati, graduating summa cum laude. In 1990, I joined Information Builders, the vendor of WebFOCUS BI and iWay enterprise integration products, and for over a dozen years served in branch leadership roles. For several years, I also led technical teams within Cincom Systems' ERP software product group and the custom software services arm of Xerox.

Since 2007, I have provided enterprise BI services such as: strategic advice; architecture, design, and software application development of intelligence systems (interactive dashboards and mobile); data warehousing; and automated modernization of legacy reporting.