WebFOCUS for BI/BA Application DevelopmentWebFOCUS is a powerful enterprise Business Intelligence and Analytics platform well-suited for today's complex and rapidly-changing environment. The software is produced by privately-held American software vendor, Information Builders.
As part of WebFOCUS, Information Builders provides two BI/BA application development tools, one for business developers and another for IT technical developers:
- BI Portal and InfoAssist for business developers (web-based and mobile)
- Windows-based Developer Studio for IT technical developers
With WebFOCUS, companies can provide business users with self-service intelligence and analytics:
- Dashboards and scorecards
- Self-service guided ad-hoc data exploration
- Mobile BI with right-time data on any device
- InfoApps to easily analyze and manipulate information
- Deep integration with desktop products such as Microsoft Excel and Adobe PDF
- Integration with open-source software such as R statistical programming language and Python
- Dynamic report scheduling and distribution, with real-time alerts
- Integration with enterprise data and information management
Note: Within the next month or two, Information Builders will release the next generation of Developer Studio which will be called the Application Studio. The new product’s “look and feel” will be consistent with that of InfoAssist. For example, Application Studio will also have a ribbon-based user interface.
BI Portal and InfoAssistThe WebFOCUS BI Portal enables business users to easily create and share sophisticated portals, launch pages, reports, and graphs hosted within the corporate WebFOCUS environment or in the cloud. The users have no software to install.
InfoAssist, the report and graph layout tool, is appropriate for business users as well as for light-weight IT development. Information Builders will license BI Portal/InfoAssist based on a certain number of users (e.g., one hundred) or on an unlimited basis.
WebFOCUS 8 comes with sophisticated multi-tenant security enabling companies to open up web and mobile BI to not only their internal employees, but also to external partners and customers.
Picture: BI Portal with InfoAssist
Windows-based Developer Studio (IDE)
Picture: Developer Studio IDE
Developer Studio Features
- Metadata Management: tool for generating and maintaining the metadata layer
- HTML Composer: layout tool for designing and creating web launch pages
- Procedure Viewer: layout tool to visually display multiple-step procedural logic
- Report Painter: layout tool for designing and creating interactive and dynamic reports
- SQL Report Wizard: tool for building reports using SQL requests
- Define Dialog: tool for creating virtual columns using business rules
- Join Painter: tool for logically connecting tables across the enterprise
- HTMLForm: tool for embedding HTML commands inside WebFOCUS procedures
- Match Wizard: tool for logically matching tables across the enterprise for either join-like functionality or exceptions
- For creating graphs, Developer Studio utilizes the InfoAssist product
Developer Studio Editions
- Report Developer Edition
- Full Edition: includes MAINTAIN development and full personal WebFOCUS image
Report Developer Edition
Full Developer Studio Edition
GUI Code Generators
- InfoAssist: generates the FOCUS 4GL
- Developer Studio’s Report Painter: generates the FOCUS 4GL